2017 Males of Color Policy ConferenceOn March 11, 2017, the Council of the Great City Schools held the Males of Color Policy Conference in Washington, D.C. The conference hosted representatives from 38 large city urban school districts to explore a range of topics important to improving the academic outcomes of young boys and men of color. The purpose of the conference was to generate a set of policy and program recommendations around a range of issues that include:
· Eliminating racial disparities in discipline through social and emotional learning and cultural competency
· Ensuring access to a rigorous curriculum
· Creating college and career opportunities through community engagement
· Legal considerations in implementing programs for males of color
· Effective leadership and communication strategies for guiding implementation of programs for males of color
The Council will produce a forthcoming report on implementing programs for males of color that builds on the recommendations from conference participants. Click HERE to access the conference presentations. If you attended the 2017 Males of Color Policy Conference and are in need of reimbursements for your ground travel expenses to the airport including taxi receipts and airport luggage fees, the reimbursement form can be found here.